March 30, 2020
As the COVID-19 public health crisis continues to evolve, VIP's highest priority is the health and safety of our community members and their families.
NYC’s ‘stay-at-home’ order means that many New Yorkers are facing increased domestic and sexual violence in their homes, as well as severe economic hardship. VIP’s emergency services, counseling and support are needed more than ever. We want you know that VIP is operating at full service, with some modifications to safeguard the health of our community.
VIP Crisis Responders are:
- Available 24/7 through our bilingual Domestic Violence Hotline
- Operating a live, online chat service M-F through the home page on our website
- Providing crisis counseling and emergency safety planning
- Providing emergency shelter to families and single adults fleeing domestic violence
VIP programs are up and running.
- We are accepting new clients for counseling and support services, and we continue to conduct counseling sessions with our existing clients remotely.
- Our emergency shelter remains open – currently housing ~20 families – and we are accepting new placements, as space allows.
- Our transitional housing program continues to provide safe and stable homes to families recovering from the trauma of domestic violence.
In response to the COVID-19 public health emergency, VIP is:
- Providing emergency resources to survivors and their families, including food and transportation
- Connecting survivors to relief efforts made available through the government, philanthropy and/or other nonprofits
- Closely following guidelines from the Department of Health and the Office of Children and Family Services to ensure that all our locations are properly and continually sanitized
- We have temporarily suspended all group activities and community spaces at our residences until it is safe to re-open them.
- We have cancelled or postponed in-person trainings, workshops, site visits, and events scheduled until further notice.
As part of the essential workforce keeping crisis services available to the most vulnerable community members in New York City, we appreciate our health care professionals, first responders, and public officials who are working so hard to keep us safe. We will continue to monitor the situation and make decisions on an ongoing basis. Please check back for updates and information.
Thank YOU for being part of our community.
If you would like to help VIP support survivors of domestic and sexual violence in this perilous time, please consider making a generous gift today. Your support will provide emergency food and resources to survivors and their families. Gracias por tu apoyo.
Wishing you and your family good health and safety.